The Mauser rifle was designed by two brothers Peter Paul and Wilhelm Mauser in the 1870’s with the production of several models before the German Army finally adopted the model 98 being called the Gewehr 98 abbreviated to GEW 98 in 7.92mm calibre and built in five shot magazine The 98 system consists of a receiver that serves as the system’s shroud and a bolt group of which the bolt body has three locking lugs, two large main lugs at the bolt head and a third safety lug at the rear of the bolt, which serves as a backup in case the primary locking lugs failed. This third lug is a distinctive feature and was not present on previous Mauser bolt action designs. Gew 98, Bolt is straight and protrudes out at 90 degrees for optimal leverage.
Barrel length 740 mm
Kar 98 or K 98 was adopted in 1934, with improvement of the earlier Gew 98, improved sights with a conventional tangent leaf sight, was flatter and does not obstruct the view to the sides during aiming, fitted with a shorter 600mm barrel The straight bolt handle found on the Gewehr 98 bolt was replaced by a turned-down bolt handle, this change made it easier to rapidly operate the bolt, reduced the amount the handle projected beyond the receiver, and enabled mounting of aiming optics directly above the receiver.